Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Change and the Electromagnetic Force

Electromagnetic Force is when two opposite charges(+ and -) attract. One real life example that's very obvious is two magnets. If you have the magnets facing each other so + charge is facing the - charge they will attract. Another example is the lifting magnets at junkyards(picture at the bottom). I don't know how they exactly work but i know the lifting magnets are electrically charged. My final example is a magnetic compass. Basically pretend there is a giant bar magnet going through the center of the earth, magnetic north near the north pole and magnetic south near the south pole. The needle in the compass is magnetised and then wherever you are the needle will point to magnetic north. Electromagnetic Force causes compounds to stay together. If there wasn't such a thing as electromagnetic force then there would be no compounds, and we would be stuck with just the plain old 92 elements.




I recommend reading yunus's post, he has two really good examples of opposites attracting.

7 comments:

Luke VanGeest said...

Dude I like how you used the word magnetized hahaa. No but your example are very bland but they definitely work. I like about the junkyard picture. Also how did you get it on there?

Rob said...

I know there bland its just hard to find exciting examples of electormagnetic force. Theres a link to add pictures right above the typing box when you make a post. I hope that makes sense.

Smeber said...

Yeah I agree with luke. You didn't really think outside the box on those example but your explanation is still pretty good.

BVoight said...

I think you have demonstrated a true understanding of the electromagnetic force but have you discussed why it causes change?

Ender said...

Yeah, without lectromagnetic force, we wouldn't have compounds to create us. Oh, actually, what's disturbing, I just realized, is that there wouldn't even be ATOMS!!! Atoms are held together by the electromagnetic force!

Rob said...

To answer Mr. Voigths question, electromagnetic force causes change because it helps combine two atoms to create compounds.

Adam said...

I like your junkyard example. And i thought the pictures were cool (still wondering how you do that) I think you got the main point of opposites attract and similiars repel.