Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why do we learn science?

I think there are many reason why we learn science.

My first reason is very obvious. If you are going to have a career in a science area such as chemist, biologist... Then you need to have a good science background so you know what your doing. Even if your a chemist you should now about other types of science such as physical science.

Another reason is that people should have a basic understanding of science. For example if someone develops a new vaccine for a disease then you will have a basic understanding of how it works. Also if you have a basic science background you will actually know what a theory means in science terms.

Another reason is that science is everywhere in our daily lives. When you wake up in the morning and brush your teeth the toothpaste reacts with your teeth to clean them and kill bacteria. If you boil water then you will have to know about the boiling point. Cooking food involves the mixing of different substances to create something new.

3 comments:

subbu said...

Agree with you. I really like the vaccine example.

Smeber said...

That's smart thinking, saying that science basically applies to everything. I just mentioned that same thing on Troy's blog. He had mentioned something about study of economy and it got me thinking about what exactly is science and to be honest i couldn't really think of anything that wasn't. So once again kudos on your post.

David said...

Your blog totally agrees with mine. I was just posting on my blog how it is important to know Science because it is all around us in our everyday lives and always applies to out lives. I liked the toothpaste example. Great analogy.